Wednesday, May 20, 2009

toms run shelter

16.2 miles, 1088.5 total.
great day of hiking. sunny and 80...or about 70 in the shade. very nice. hit the trail around 10 and walked mostly up or the first 2.5 miles. the first shelter area was amazing. freshly painted shelters with a nice stream in front. potted flowers and plants around the area and everything was very clean. had a snack, refilled my water, and moved on. after 5 more miles I found a locked cabin with nobody home. it had a stream with a foot bridge right in front, so I sat there on the bridge in the shade and ate lunch, did a little reading, an took a nap. cool. 2.5 miles later there was another shelter with a whole bunch of day and section hikers. so I refilled my water at a spring and then sat under a tree ad read for a little while before moving on. the last 6 miles were up and down and very very rocky, and as I got closer to the shelter there were more and more bugs. ugh. my feet were hot and sore and the bugs were really bugging me! well I'm here and was in my tent until the sun went down and the bugs went away. can't get used to gnats, flies, and other bugs...and there aren't even any Mosquitos yet. can't wait for them. good thing about nicer weather is that I've been in my tent for most of the last 2 weeks. probably only stay in shelters if it rains - at least until I hit Vermont or maybe Mass.
later,
L


-- Post From My iPhone