Monday, May 25, 2009

peter's mtn. shelter

11.3 miles, 1148.6 total.
memorial day 2009.
I took a day off yesterday and stayed at the Doyle hotel in duncannon. had a great time hanging out with fellow hiker, john from east Tennessee. back on the trail this morning at 8:00. ran into nick and sara early - they took off Sunday too. about 3 miles before this shelter there is a privately owned cabin whose owners were having a memorial day party and placed invitations to hikers all along the trail. so we stopped. there were about 12 hikers and 40 - 50 people belonging to the owner's family. they had 3 long tables of food - basically anything you could think of eating. stayed there for about 4 hours before heading out. just when I got back on the trail...I came around a switchback and the was a guy standing on the trail naked!!! yes, now I've seen a naked guy. he looked like maybe he was taking some drugs that he shouldn't have been taking. he was wearing only sneakers and in one hand he held a cigarette while holding a pair of shorts in the other hand. standing there just staring off into space. when he saw me, I said, howdy! and he mumbled something, quickly put on his shorts, and ran down the trail in the opposite direction. odd. other hikers also saw naked guy, so I'm not crazy. fun trail. here with about 7 others tonight. forecast is dr rain tonight and next 3 days. ugh.
later,
L


-- Post From My iPhone