Monday, May 4, 2009

Blackrock Hut

20 miles, 872.5 total.
Got a late start because I had to go to the post office and send a package home. Kandra sent me a lighter sleeping bag and some warm weather clothing so I sent back my heavier bag and several other cold weather items. My pack is now a couple pounds lighter. I called a Trail Angel with the last name Gottschalk, but he's not from Hays, to give me a ride back to the trail.
I got started around 10:30 and it was really foggy and rainy. Here we go again with the rain. The forecast says it will rain a little bit each day I'm going to be in the Shenandoah National Park - 5 or 6 days.
The trail in the park is amazingly well kept, and crosses the Skyline Drive many times. SD is a continuation of the Blueridge Parkway into the SNP, just has a different name. The trail goes through some forest areas that are much more dense than what I just came through the last two weeks, and I've been told I will definitely see more wild life here.
Made it the 20 miles by 5:30 and even took several breaks in the rain. I saw a lot of deer and several turtles today. Here at the shelter area, they call them Huts in this park, with 6 others who are all section hikers. They tell me that because it takes only 5-8 days to get through the park I will see a lot of people who are here just to hike the park.
later,
L