Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Pinefield Hut

13.2 miles, 885.7 total.
Two of the people at the shelter last night had dogs with them. ugh. So I was up early and decided to get on the trail as soon as possible.
It was cloudy and misty all day today, and then started to pour late in the afternoon and still hasn't stopped.
Hiked by several car campsites today and a bunch of overlooks on the Skyline Drive. There are a lot of people in this park, even though the summer season hasn't started yet. Was going to go for 22 miles today but I started to get cranky and achy when I got to this shelter for a break around 1:30. My feet are feeling good today even though I was walking in the rain most of the day. These new(ish) shoes are doing well. They're New Balance with a trail sole. They don't do really well on the wet rocks but they feel so good on my feet. I'll just be careful. :)
Saw a bunch of deer today all along the trail. I also saw a bright orange lizard that was only about 4 or 5 inches long. I thought it was a plastic toy that someone dropped until it started to move. I also saw more turtles today.
Here at the "Hut" with a very odd SOBO hiker from CT and a three sectioners including the two with dogs.
later,
L