Friday, May 8, 2009

gravel springs hut

17.5 miles, 946.2 total.
took my time getting up and moving around today. sun was out early so I hung my socks and pants and shirt so they could be a little dry when I started. was finally packed and ready to go around 8.
first 4 miles were ok. several road crossings and some overlook areas, and I could actually see brcause the sun was out. stopped at a SNP convenience store that was right on the trail. took a 30 minute break to relax and have a box of nutter butters and some ice cream sandwiches. yummy.
after that, I went up and over humpback mtn and then over an unnamed mtn that had a huge radio/tv antenna on top. that's not all it had...about halfway down the other side of the mtn a very very big bear jumped up from behind a boulder, about 150 feet away, and took off running up the mtn. looked about 300 lbs. and really fast. wow. I got down the mtn faster than I thought possible.
2 miles later I was here at the shelter with 5 north bound section hikers from Chicago. no rain today!!! maybe tomorrow will be nice too.
later,
L


-- Post From My iPhone