Thursday, May 21, 2009

Alec Kennedy Shelter

19.2 miles, 1107.7 total. (just over the halfway mark)
Got an early start today, 7:30, not sure why, though. It was only 4.2 miles from the shelter to Pine Grove Furnace state park, which is just past the A.T. midpoint this year and is the official home of the Half Gallon Challenge. Most thru-hikers take part in the Challenge....which is to eat a half gallon of ice cream as quickly as they can. hmmmm. sound yummy.
This is the type of gluttonous activity that brings to mind the artwork of my friend Geoffrey Raymond who creates unique portraits of our most famous wall street related, and other, money hungry devils. Maybe I'm next??? doubt it. Alas, my activity will not bring any windfall of cash...more like a stomach ache from the depths of hell. :)
I chose Hershey's vanilla with peanut butter ribbons (fancy term for swirls) as my poison. I was competing or just eating with 5 fellow hikers, and I did very well for someone who rarely eats ice cream, but I guess sucking down large quantities of one sugary substance is pretty much like sucking down large quantities of any other sugary substance. I came in 3rd, completing my half gallon in just under 40 minutes. Then I sat very still for about an hour. Then I went to the bathroom. THEN I hiked an additional 15 miles. Let's see you do that!
Here at the shelter resting my gut and waiting to see what tomorrow has to offer. Loving this trail more and more each day.
Later,
L