Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Bearfence Mountain Hut

20.6 miles, 906.3 total.
Left the hut a little before 8:00 this morning, first one out. I think the others are going to stay at the first shelter (8.2 miles away) so I'll decided to go for the second one. Don't want to be with dogs again tonight. Done with the "pets on the trail" thing....NOW.
The first section was up and out of the fog so I got to see some of the nice scenery...and the sun! I got to the first shelter by 10:30 and took a half hour break to have a snack and refill water. Since the first few miles, I was in and out of the fog and rain most of the day. Climbed to the top of Hightop Mountain and was able to see above the clouds. It was very nice and there were several rocky overviews so I was able to get some good pictures. Then, on the way down the mountain, I came down through a switchback and 40 feet from me a bear popped its head up from behind a dead tree that was about 5 feet off the trail. I clanged my hiking poles together several times and it jumped up and took off up the mountain. It wasn't too big or too small; probably a few years old. It was the size of a large dog. Not very scary, but now I've seen my first bear.
About a half mile from the hut was a car camping area with a camp store. yippee. I stopped and bought mac & cheese for dinner, moon pies, snickers, gatorade, and two bottles of cream soda. yummy.
Here at the hut with two german SOBO section hikers, and a NOBO sectioner. Still raining tonight. Most of my stuff is wet and I can't get it to dry.
later,
L