Wednesday, April 29, 2009

the priest shelter

22.7 miles, 818 total.
left camp around 7:30 this morning. it was overcast and humid. the miles kept falling and I kept walking. very first 4 miles were straight up to bald knob. they were 4 of the toughest that I've hiked in a while. lots of switchbacks and after every few there was a stretch of straight up trail.
the next 10 miles were fairly easy and over some cool terrain. some farmland, some rocky areas, and some pine forests - some high and some low. made it to seely-woodworth shelter by 1:15. 15.8 miles by mid day. nice. I hung out there for about an hour and a half. was met there by OC and sonny, and the mother-daughter team stopped by to get more water from the spring.
the afternoon was cooler and much less humid so I was able to cruise during the afternoon without the heat of the past few days. I passed several SOBO flippers and a group of teenaged sectioners with their adult leaders. missed some good views becade of the clouds but the cooler temps were welcomed.
OC and I ended up here in the clouds, most of the way up the priest mtn.
later,
L


-- Post From My iPhone