Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Lost Mtn Shelter

15.8 miles, 478.8 total.
after a zero day yesterday I hit the trail around 9:00 this morning. SNOWY and COLD but very beautiful.
near town there was only a dusting but it snowed lightly all day while going up the mountain. probably got around 4 inches which created some 3-4 foot drifts that I had to walk through.
there was one big 1000 ft ascent and the rest was ridge walking. it was nice to walk in the falling snow and still be able to see the scenery around me. only a few ppl ahead so I had to be careful and watch their tracks or I would lose the trail under the fresh snow.
here at the shelter...cold...with Canada, Big Boots, Fresco, and a mother-daughter team that is becoming famous because they hike in sandals - even on the snow and rain. today their footwear included socks, plastic grocery bags, and sandals.
in my bag by 7 trying to stay warm. everything will freeze tonight so I'm keeping clothes and a water bottle in the bag with me.
tomorrow will be tough. have to climb mt rogers (5700 ft) and more snow is expected. so much for waiting on the weather in damascus.
later,
L

-- Post From My iPhone