Sunday, April 26, 2009

cornelius creek shelter

18.3 miles, 755.4 total.
I hate this heat. going to be in upper 80's again today. couldn't sleep last night cause it was so hot. got up at 6:00 and left camp as quickly as possible because the bugs were already active.
hike was not good or bad, just hot. at 6 miles I came to a shelter that was guarded by a swarm of big fat bumble bees. so I marched on. a little while later I took a break at a river crossing and watched a bunch of rednecks fish for trout. even though a big sign said "No Fishing". then after about 13.5 miles I came to Bryant ridge shelter. it was beautiful and looked new. it sits right on a small stream and offers plenty of shade. no bugs! I climbed onto the picnic table and took a nap. there was a couple upstairs also napping. I woke up when a south bounder stopped in for a break. then the couple upstairs came down and fixed us hot dogs and bacon and gave us mountain dew that had been chilling in the stream.
when I left I had a really tough 5 miles of uphill to finish the day. feels cooler out but the bugs are still everywhere. pitching the tent for sure now. I can see two mice sitting on the shelter ceiling beam. they can have it; no sense fighting with them all night.
here by myself again tonight.
later,
L

-- Post From My iPhone