Thursday, April 2, 2009

Dennis Cove Road, Kincora Hostel

15.6 miles, 412.6 total.
Relatively easy day with only small ups and downs. Saw a lot of critters today. Deer, turkeys, grouse, hawks, and even some bats. Spring must be in the air.
Nothing too crazy today. My shoes are beginning to look a little rough and are tearing up near where they crease when I take a step. Also, the insides of each shoe behind my heels have begun to wear through to the plastic. Didn't want to have to replace so soon, but I guess over 400 miles is pretty good for a pair of shoes (I also wore them for about a month in NYC).
I finished my 15.6 miles around 3:30. I'm getting faster and the terrain is getting a little flatter, so my mileage is going to start increasing...maybe.
Kincora hostel was opened 13 years ago by Bob Peoples and his wife Pat. Bob is a retired military man from Boston and is very well known on the trail. Known as the trail's best friend. His wife recently died after battling cancer for several years, but he intends to keep going down here. It is free to stay at the hostel, but a $4.00 donation is suggested. It's also greatly appreciated if hikers "give back" by working on the trail or on the hostel while here. Not too many hikers here tonight so Bob and I went to town together so I could restock for the next few days. Chestnut is here but getting off the AT. He's decided to jump out to California to hike the Pacific Crest Trail instead, so we dropped him off at the bus stop where he'll catch a bus home to rhode island to get ready for the PCT.
Bob is great. He knows and remembers just about everyone who thru-hikes. We talked for quite a while about hikers, trails, and cities. Cool.
Later,
L