Monday, April 27, 2009

john's hollow shelter

21.6 miles, 777 total.
flies, gnats, bees. enough already. don't I get a spring before summer. at least I've figured it out. my shoes and pant legs are covered with pollen. they're actually yellow. I need to clean them off regularly.
today was a long one. first 5.3 miles were all up, and it got warm early. might be a break in the heat sometime on the next couple of days.
took a break around 11:00 and called mary lou (grandma) to wish her a happy 84th bday. that was the only time all day that I had coverage. how convenient. what a good grandson!!
the next 12.4 miles seemed to last forever and ended with a long descent that hammered my knees. was going to call it a day but the bees were guarding the shelter and there weren't any good tent sites. so I got water from the fast moving stream in front of the shelter an was going to move on...when I had an idea. there was a huge rock in the middle of the stream that was shaped like a chair - and was half submerged. so I stripped down to my undies and got in. nice!!!! refreshing. I got a bath and did my laundry too. then everything dried on a boulder and I took off for this shelter, 3.9 miles further. setting up my tent so I can sleep a little cooler tonight again. here with a section hiker named ghost.
later,
L


-- Post From My iPhone