Saturday, April 4, 2009

Abingdon Gap Shelter

22.7 miles, 452.8 total. Personal single day record and 1/5 of journey is complete.
Beautiful day and a great hike, after it warmed up. Very cold 28 F in the sun when I woke up this morning. Last night it got down into the teens and the wind/mist was blowing directly into the front of the shelter. It was COOOOLD. I slept in my down jacket, fleece hat, gloves, and long underwear...and I was still chilly.
Started hiking in balaclava and gloves..and a bandana around my head just like Rich Casciato (but not as cool), but it warmed up by 10:30 and I was able to lose the balaclava and gloves. Mostly ridge walking today from mountain to mountain...except for about 1 mile before each shelter. It seems like they put a little climb on the trail right before each shelter. Had a morning snack at the first shelter - 6.8 miles into hike - and then a late lunch at the next one - 14.4 miles into hike - and then dinner at this shelter.
Two instances of trail magic today. I met a retired couple who were out for a day hike. He's from the Bronx and she's from south Jersey (joisy). We started talking about NYC, the Yankees and the METS...and then they fed me lunch and gave me snacks for the rest of the day. Very nice. Then, about 3 miles from my final destination there was a cooler full of sodas on the trail. Attached to the cooler was a note: "Thru-hikers, please take one." It was from a former thru-hiker who lives in the area. So I grabbed an icy Dr. Pepper and chugged it!! yummy. Tasted so good after the 4.5 liters of water I had drunk during the rest of the day.
Here at the shelter site with the thru from last night (maybe left toe) and a small scout troop. Set up the tent because the bugs and mice are really bad here. It's not even dark yet, and the mice are running around the shelter looking for food. One of my stake out loops on the tent came off so I had to reattach it using my needle and dental floss as thread. Hopefully someone in Damascus can fix more professionally and permanently. Also need some stitching done on my backpack; the stitching on the shoulder straps is coming out. Should be in Damascus, VA early tomorrow...only 10.2 miles to go.
Later,
L