Saturday, July 25, 2009

white house landing

25.5 miles, 2132.4 total.
rain finally stopped at 3:00 this morning so I didn't have to walk in it today, BUT the trail is soaking wet again which makes for rough going. ugh!
trail was mostly flat, mostly. we went through more really cool forests and had to ford a very fast flowing stream over slippery rocks. it was crazy!
the mosquitoes were out of control today. I was afraid to stop for a break because they might eat me. as i hiked behind one of the Amigos i could see the mosquito cloud following him. really really bad.
at the end of the day I took a .9 mile side trail to the a boat dock in a secluded cove on a lake. next to the dock is an airhorn. I blew the airhorn once and it echoed eerily all across the lake and valley. then...someone on the other side of the lake came across in a fishing boat and took me to the other side where this hostel is located. really very cool. they cooked a wonderful meal and I had beer and ice cream; great combo for a thru hiker. I'm am dry and will be sleeping in a warm dry bed. it feels good.
45 miles to go.

later,
L



-- Post From My iPhone