Tuesday, July 7, 2009

chet's hostel - Lincoln, NH

9.0 miles, 1805.7 total.
short wet day. left camp early to climb kinsman mtn. it has south and north peaks. climb was from 2500 to 4350 then down a bit then back up to 4300. then down all the way to 1450. again, it was straight up and down over crazy rocks. it's mentally and physically draining. I don't think I've felt this drained for a long time. half way down it started to...pour on me. surprise!!!
I got to the highway and decided to call this guy chet to see of he had room at his place. he has a small hostel in his house and offers a shuttle to and from the trail.
i'll wait out the rain again because I have to climb mt lafayette next. it goes from 1450 to 5250 and I can't start it halfway through the day in the rain. no way. I have about 75 miles to gorham, nh. it's rumored to be better trail after that town. we will see. I'm about to hit the toughest part of the white mountains, the presidential range. mtns Lincoln, Garfield, Pierce, Franklin, Washington (biggest), Madison, Carter, Hayes, maybe more...I'm getting tired thinking about all of them. it will be slow going, but hopefully the weather will be nicer. doubt it.
I'm ready to be finished now. :)

later,
L


-- Post From My iPhone