Monday, July 27, 2009

The Birches: thru-hiker base camp

21.1 miles, 2173.1 total, 5.2 to go.
it rained all night again and nobody got much sleep, so the Amigos and I were all up and on the trail early.
first 10 miles were through the last really beautiful woods.  they're amazing. more giant boulders, fast flowing streams, old growth forests with moss and lichen and rich green vegetation.  i still think it's like something from a movie.  it stopped raining about 5 miles into the day, but the trail never got really bad today.
at the 10 mile mark I reached Abol Bridge campground and the entrance to Baxter State Park.  I registered there as a thru hiker and stopped at the camp store for gatorade, soda, candy, and anything else that looked tasty; i was starving, as always.
the next few miles included two stream fords, several ponds, and more tourists; a lot more.  I arrived at the Katahdin Stream campground around 4:00.  I registered with the ranger and confirmed that I will summit tomorrow morning, if the trail is open.  the trail to the top can close at any time based on weather.  I also spoke with the owner of a hostel in Millinocket, ME who will be shuttling me and the Amigos to Bangor tomorrow afternoon after a stop at his place for showers and food.
we are the only thrus scheduled to summit tomorrow so we're the only people here at the Birches.  it's a campsite used only by thru-hikers.  I guess they don't want us mingling with the laid back country folk.  I am officially registered as the 47th NorthBounder to finish in 2009 (assuming I finish the whole thing tomorrow).  now I'll settle in for a night which I'm sure will not include much sleep. it's very exciting and sad at the same time to be so close to finishing.

later, 
L