Wednesday, July 8, 2009

galehead hut

12.9 miles, 1818.6 total.
got a late 9:30 start because of shuttle schedules at chet's place.
very tough day. it drizzled and rained all day. I climbed Little Haystack Mtn - 4760, Mt Lincoln - 5089, Mt Lafayette - 5249, and Mt Garfield - 4488. coming down Garfield was amazing! I was hiking down a waterfall. actually walking down rocks in the falls as water flowed all around me. scary but cool. would have been nicer if it were hot and not raining, but it WAS raining and 55 degrees.
had planned on going farther but I'm tired and it started raining again.
I got to this hut around 4:15 and they happily accepted my request for "work for stay". not sure what I'll be doing but I'll get fed and sleep indoors tonight. nice. one other thru here tonight and a bunch of tourist types. it's a giant cabin with a dining area, bathrooms, and bunk house.

later,
L

-- Post From My iPhone