Saturday, July 18, 2009

horns pond lean-to

18.6 miles, 1995.6 total.
it rained ALL night. had to pack up inside the tent and then pack up a wet tent, which I'm sure added an extra pound of weight to my bag. left camp at 9:00 and it stopped raining shortly after. huh.
more big climbs today and had to ford a roaring stream and near the end of the day we went through an amazing boulder field. giant boulders the size of houses all over the mountain. they were covered with moss and had trees growing through and around them. really cool. it made it a little easier to go up 2000 ft in about 2.5 miles at the end of the day. I was running out of gas - had to stop several times and rest. starting to feel old while hiking with a bunch of 26 year old kids! also saw another moose today. big antlers and big body quietly moving through the forest. amazing they are so quiet.
got here by 5:00. quickly set up my tent so it could dry and then I ran down and jumped into the pond for a swim/bath. it felt great! dark clouds have been rolling by, but no rain yet. in the tent now and can hear the buzzing mosquitos outside. tomorrow morning I have a couple of big climbs and then it flattens out. getting closer. 182.7 miles to go now.
all day I was singing this Ozzy song - or some version of it:
times have changed and times are strange,
here I come but I ain't the same,
mama, I'm coming home.
I could be right, I could be wrong,
it hurts so bad, it's been so long,
mama, I'm coming home.
I've seen your face a thousand times
every day we've been apart,
and I don't care about the sunshine anymore,
cause mama, mama I'm coming home.

later,
L

-- Post From My iPhone