Tuesday, July 21, 2009

moxie bald mtn. lean-to

18.8 miles, 2045.9 total.
late start out of caratunk, but on the trail by 10:00. nice weather today. no rain!
the day was broken up very well by shelter placement. good distances apart for breaks which were needed because we had a couple rigorous climbs; pleasant pond mountain and moxie bald mountain. also had to ford a large stream - about 25 yards wide with water up to my thighs. I've given up on taking off my hiking shoes and wearing my crocs across rivers and streams because my shoes are always wet anyway - due to the muddy wet trail. I just truck right through the water, watching for deep holes and slippery rocks.
right after the ford I saw a white FORD pickup driving down an old logging road...and the driver was shooting a .22 rifle out his window into a field. not sure what he was shooting, but it was in the opposite direction.

later,
L

-- Post From My iPhone