Friday, July 24, 2009

logan brook lean-to

24.0 miles, 2106.9 total.
it rained all night and all day. without a doubt, this has been my worst day on the trail. worse than the day i fell off the White Mountains in New Hampshire!  everything is wet, everything.  I'm sore, tired, hungry, and have bloody hands. but dammit I'm alive!
first 7 miles took over 4 hours to hike and were very dangerous; some would say treacherous. went over several exposed very rocky ridges in the pouring rain with winds of over 30 mph. I slipped and fell 4 times on the rocks this morning, including one time I slid down a steep slope scraping up my hands as I tried to stop the slide. big frowny face. :(
the middle 10 miles were quick and the trail was in better condition which allowed me to make up time and not think about the previous 7 miles.
then...the last 7 were horrible; absolutely horrible. all along a very rocky ridge then over White Cap mountain, which is a bald mtn covered with sharp rocks. it was raining and sleeting on top with winds so strong I could barely walk. It felt like the rain and sleet were going to rip the skin off my face. isn't this July? it was wild, scary and crazy.
12 hours of horrible hiking today. I'm soaked and it's still raining hard and the shelter is packed and I don't feel like cooking and my feet are swollen and red. i think every piece of clothing and gear is soaked. i have some things hanging from the rafters just in case they can drip a little bit dry, but i doubt that will happen. 71 miles to go.

later,
L


-- Post From My iPhone