Saturday, July 4, 2009

hexacuba shelter

12.0 miles, 1765.2 total.
it rained a bit last night, but there were no bugs. I left camp around 7:30 as the dartmouth campers sang to me and then shouted "good luck, lunatic!"
the hike up smarts mtn was tough. went from 1100 to 3250 and it took me a long time. at the top it began to pour on me. a big thunderstorm parked itself above the area - very nice. I spent the rest of the day trying to avoid giant mud holes.
got to this shelter around 1:00 - early, but the weather makes it easy to decide to stay here. the next section is straight up mt cube, and it's very rocky. I'll wait out the weather and relax a bit. happy 4th to me.
here with tonto and several SOBOs. beginning to see more south bound thru hikers than north bound now.

later,
L


-- Post From My iPhone