Monday, July 6, 2009

eliza brook shelter

17.0 miles, 1796.8 total.
on the trail by 6:30 for a big climb up and over mt Moosilauke. it was a very nice day for it. the showers last night cleared out the bad weather for now.
the moose was a climb straight up from 1400 ft to 4802 ft. I was on top by 9:00 and called K to tell her I was still alive. I had some great views from up there. I could see the rest of the white mtns, that I will soon climb, and also the green mtns of Vermont, that I just came through. cool. finally got some pictures that weren't all clouds. then came the bad part. the descent was a mile straight down over jagged rocks and boulders - but right next to a beautiful waterfall. very very slippery and dangerous. many places had rebar drilled into the boulders for handrails and logs also connect to the rocks for steps. just put away my sticks and climbed down using hands, feet, and butt. it took forever. probably the longest mile so far. at least I got some more pictures.
then the remaining section was little ups ad downs over rocks. it took forever and was very tiring. got in late.
here with tonto and several SOBOs. we are on the lookout for a crazy fat raccoon that has been terrorizing people at this shelter. haven't seen it yet.

later,
L


-- Post From My iPhone