Tuesday, June 30, 2009

winturri shelter

18.0 miles, 1710.3 total.
took my time leaving the Inn this morning. had coffee and a big breakfast, and then I left around 9:00. rain held off a but in the morning but started again late in the afternoon.
trail was a little muddy and wet, but I was still able to move quickly. around 2:00, with only 5 miles left to go for the day, I came upon the best trail magic ever! a former thru hiker was at a remote road crossing with a grill and several coolers under a large canopy. he had hamburgers, veggie burgers, hot dogs, fruit and veggies, cheese and crackers, soda, water, Gatorade, beer, stove fuel, granola bars...anything a hiker could want. I sat and ate and drank and talked to him for about 2 hours. excellent.
got here to the shelter around 5:30. at 5:45 it started to rain again and hasn't stopped. it's been raining even harder in the last hour. here with 6 section hikers. I've been following several of them for a few days in the shelter journals.
later,
L


-- Post From My iPhone