Sunday, June 21, 2009

mark noepel lean-to

13.7 miles, 1572.5 total.
I had a nice, and much needed, zero day yesterday. watched The Outlaw Josey Wales on cable. i've always loved that movie.
it has continued to rain so I'm still a little down about that. left the shamrock inn of dalton this morning at 9:30 and got to this shelter around 3:00.
I was quite surprised how much the condition of the trail had improved - even with the additional rain. there were still huge puddles and it was very muddy, but my feet and pants stayed relatively dry today. I fell once while trying to get around one of those massive trail puddles. cut and bruised my shin pretty bad, but I cleaned and bandaged it so...should be okay. it's quite swollen right now, though.
in the shelter now. listening to the rain and talking to two young local hikers who say they want to go all the way to Maine. I think they're really just out for a few days, but they're carrying enough equipment for a whole village. one has a hack saw and the other has a pocket fishing pole.
have a big climb tomorrow morning and then I should be in Vermont by mid-afternoon. 3 states and less than 600 miles to go by tomorrow evening. very cool.
I miss NYC.

later,
L

-- Post From My iPhone