Monday, June 29, 2009

the inn at Long Trail

18.3 miles, 1692.3 total.
rained all night and was still pouring when I hit the trail at 8:15. guess it was just enough to flood the trail again. :(
took breaks at two shelters early on and one for lunch. rained hard all day. found some trail magic early - crackers and cheese and also sodas. very nice.
this Inn is right near the trail and caters to hikers during the summer, so I'll stay here and do laundry and get dry. tomorrow will rain again but not all day.
met several long trail hikers and a couple of south bound AT sectioners. haven't seen a NOBO thru for a while. this might help me in the new hampshire white mountains. there are a series of huts there that are expensive and serve meals, but they allow 2 thru hikers free bunks and meals in return for dishwashing and cooking services. work for stay, they call it. if I'm in a bit of a bubble I shouldn't have trouble getting one of the spots. I'll wash dishes like they've never seen anyone wash dishes before!! otherwise, I'll have to camp at least .5 miles away from the shelters or pay $80 to stay there.

later,
L

-- Post From My iPhone