Tuesday, June 23, 2009

goddard shelter

21.6 miles, 1610.6 total.
woke up at 6:00 to hear section hiker next to me saying "bear, bear, bear!" there was a bear right in front of the shelter trying to get to some food that someone left on the picnic table. we scared it off, but it came back through camp after about 5 minutes and then wandered off toward the privy. I was able to get some pictures - a little blurry, but first pics of a bear that I've been able to snap so far.
trail was again wet and muddy but it didn't rain at all. the sun even came out for a couple hours. cool. I fell 2 times today. ugh. I'm all muddy and I bent one of my hiking poles. was able to straighten it enough to use for now.
last 4 miles took forever. all straight up - roughly 2000 feet. feels good to be climbing again.
here with 10 section hikers. some going all the way to Maine and some just doing a few days. also, from Mass/Vt border, the AT runs with the Long Trail for a 100+ miles. the long trail goes from vt to Canada. it's the oldest "long trial". I think it's about 200 miles long.
please don't use these facts on jeopardy. :)


later,
L


-- Post From My iPhone