Wednesday, June 17, 2009

tom leonard lean-to (MA)

24.4 miles, 1517.1 total.
what a beautiful day! no rain. was on the trail by 6:30 because I got up so early.
had climbed 3 peaks by 11:30. bear mtn. - 2300 ft. race mtn. - 2450 ft. mt. everett - 2600 ft. all were very cool. nice climbs with very technical rocky descents.
after coming down from everett I stopped for a snack at the guilder pond picnic area. I was sitting at a picnic table eating peanut butter -straight from the jar with a spoon - and reading my guide book. I got up from the table and walked about 20 ft away just to stretch my legs...when I heard a twig snap behind me. turned around and it was like I was part of a yogi the bear cartoon. a bear had come out of the woods behind the picnic table and was reaching for my food. when he snapped the stick he froze and just stood there looking at me. For some reason I screamed, Hey, get away from my stuff! and he scurried off into the woods slowly while watching me. then he just sat by a log about 50 yards away. how wacky. I packed up everything and got out of there.
anyway, so far Massachusetts is very wet, humid, and infested with mosquitos...and if you look at the name of the state long enough, you might go insane.
here with 3 other thru hikers. it's going to rain tonight and probably tomorrow, but I'm in the tent anyway - to avoid mosquitos.
later,
L


-- Post From My iPhone