Thursday, June 18, 2009

upper goose pond cabin

21.1 miles, 1538.2 total.
days like today make people quit hiking.
it started raining at 3 AM and never stopped. not just raining, pouring. cats and dogs and chickens and hens and everything else.
the trail was flooded. streams and brooks were flooded and flowing over the rocks and bridges used to cross them. several times I had to walk through water that was waist deep, and many times the trail looked like a pond or log ride. miserable day. I was wet and muddy all day.
got to this cabin about 5 pm. it has a bunk house, kitchen, and living room with a fireplace. there are 5 of us here and we are all trying to dry out. socks and shoes and other clothes are hanging by the fireplace. forecast is for more rain the next few days.
I can't believe how bad the trail was today. it was like there was absolutely no drainage. didn't see anything except my feet, the water, mud, and roots. I fell several times in the muck. can't wait for tomorrow.
later,
L


-- Post From My iPhone