Friday, June 19, 2009

dalton, massachusetts

20.6 miles, 1558.8 total.
left the cabin at 7:45. still raining and the trail was still in horrible condition.
about 2 miles into the hike there was a cooler full of sodas and little debbie snacks. trail magic! it made the mud a little easier to handle. again, several times had I cross water that was knee and waist deep. was like that all day long. I was also chased by a crazy bird of some sort. it came out of some bushes and fluffed up its feathers, screamed, and chased me down the trail. must have had some babies in there or something.
everything else was just wet and muddy. my pants, shoes, and shirt were all covered in mud when I got to town at 5 tonight. cool thing is that even though I looked like a mud monster and the town is right on the trail, a guy pulled over in his pickup and gave me a ride to the motel. motel clerk offered to do my laundery for me while I showered and cleaned up. very nice people. forecast is still for more rain, so I'm not sure what I'll do tomorrow. I had planned on a couple more 20+ mile days to get into Vermont by Sunday afternoon, but I'm not sure if I'll make it. the trail is too bad and the rain is starting to slow me down. also, my feet and toes are starting to hurt. everyday they're shriveled because of all the water, which is making them really sensitive...and two toe nails came off completely when I took off my socks today. yuck.
later,
L


-- Post From My iPhone