Sunday, June 28, 2009

clarenden shelter

16.9 miles, 1674.0 total.
early start today because the SOBO sectioners were up before 6:00. took my time and was still on the trail by 7:30. rained a little overnight but was very nice all day. the trail was even in very good condition.
saw several day hikers out near the road crossings and overlooks.
I got to my lunch stop shelter early, by noon (13m). so I ate and took a nap there. cool. this shelter was only 4 miles farther, but I had to go through clarenden gorge. it's a deep rocky gorge. down several hundred feet and then back up the other side. very tough. got here around 4:00. very nice shelter. here with a SOBO long trail hiker who will hike the AT after Vermont. he's already done re whole AT on 2003. very nice Canadian.
weird thing is that a local showed up shirtless on am ATV carrying a rifle and a big jug of whiskey. we listened to him ramble for a while and then he drove off. crazy. btw, just started raining and doesn't look like it will stop soon. ugh.

later,
L

-- Post From My iPhone