Wednesday, March 11, 2009

unknown mtn, mile 147

got up and had a big breakfast in prep for the big climb and hit the trail at 9. the steep 7 miles went quickly and were painless. just proves that the descents are tougher on the body than the ascents...terrain being equal. some of the trail was really rocky again today - see pic below. this iPhone only takes blurry pictures when used by my shaky hands. :)
after lunch, tortilla bread with peanut butter and a snickers bar, decided to go another 4.5 before setting up camp. total is 11.5 for the day and I'm with eric, dave, and rich (d'leader) on an unknown mountain top - tenting it tonight. nice. I found out eric and dave are electrical engineers from new hampshire and rich is in finance and lives I'm charlotte (maybe), but has worked out of NYC quite a bit. dave an rich are in their 50's and eric is in his 30's. they all hike mostly faster than I do, mostly. dave and eric will leave the trail Friday at Fontana and rich and I will continue. I think I'll make gatlinberg, tn by midday march 17 and meet russ s. there for st patty's day.
today it was cloudy and rained a little bit - nothing much to see; although, it cleared up late when we were cooling dinner. tonight I had couscous with dried veggies and olive oil, hot cocoa, a protein bar and half a liter of water. still don't think I'm getting enough water daily, but I'm working on it. always thirsty. knees are okay today, but I might have a small blister on my little toe - I'll look in the AM and dr, if needed. if it's clear in the morning we should have a good sunrise.
later,
L





-- Post From My iPhone