Monday, March 30, 2009

Greasy Creek Gap (GC Friendly)

7 miles, 364 total.
Short day today. COOOOOLD last night. My bag was warm enough, with most of my clothing still on, but I didn't get much sleep. The wind blew like a freight train all night long. Last time I looked it was around 20 F and at 8 AM it was just under 30 F. I slept with a liter of water in my bag along with my shoes and the clothes I wanted to wear today...also wore a fleece hat, socks, and gloves.
Hiked out at about 9:30 after having some coffee and a couple of granola bars. looks like we got about 3 inches of snow and it was still sleeting a bit when I left. Trail was frozen in some spots but muddy in others. Quite a bit of climbing in the 7 miles to the GC gap. Several parts of the trail were very close to roads and there was a lot of big trash near the trail. Saw several tires, a clothes washer, an old stove, and a lot of white 5 gallon buckets. Maybe somebody wanted to dump their pickle buckets over a ledge next to the highway!
Decided to stop at a very small hostel here and spend $8 to bunk in their barn with a few other hikers. Got in early in the afternoon. It will give my feet a rest before tomorrow's ascent of Roan Mtn. This is a nice place. C.C. (she) has run the hostel for several years and is very hiker friendly. I'm typing this on her computer in her living room...next to the wood burning stove. Tonight is going to be cold again but I will be warm. Hope to get an early start for tomorrow's big run. Hopefully I can get in 15-18 miles, if the mtn. and weather allow.
Still no cell service...maybe on the mtn.
Hope Sharon has a great "last day of work" tomorrow (31st) and an enjoyable first day of retirement on the 1st.
Later,
L