Saturday, March 14, 2009

mollies ridge shelter

after a day off my feet feel much better. spent the day soaking them and just hanging out with rich (aka: d'leader); eric and dave headed back to the northeast. another problem now - my stomach is upset something fierce. not sure if it was water I had or what. ugh.
today: cold, rain, sleet, and mud. did I mention mud? hiked 11+ miles, mostly ascent, out of fontana dam into SMNP and now at mollies. rules of the park state that section and weekend hikers must reserve and pay for their spots in shelters. therefore, if a shelter fills up the thru hikers must leave and set up their tents next to the shelter. BUT you can't sleep in your tent anywhere except next to a shelter AND only if the shelter is full. odd.
mollies holds 14 and there are now 10 here, so we should be okay tonight. thank goodness their is a tarp covering the front of the shelter because it's 38 degrees and blowing rain.
most of the hike today was in the clouds and sliding around in the mud. couldn't see much of anything. I think the high was 44 - according to my trusty thermometer.
tomorrow should be dry but still chilly, which will be much better. rather be sweaty an not drenched in rain water than sweaty and drenched. taking meds for my stomach but if it's not better in a couple days I'll go to a clinic I'm gatlinburg when I resupply.
later,
L

-- Post From My iPhone