Thursday, March 5, 2009

plumorchard gap shelter

easy day today. 8.6 miles from deep gap to plumorchard shelter. only a few ups and downs and quite a bit of ridge walking with great views. here at the shelter with two guys from chatanooga, tn (originally from wisconsin and new york) on spring break, and with a brit and guy from mass doing 2 months on the AT. all were at neels gap and a couple other shelters also. really funny and down to earth. forgot to mention that from neels on north ppl stop talking about the approach trail and # of days - only talk about miles from springer mtn, daily miles, and next stops. so I'm about 71 miles into the AT and about 40 miles to my next resupply stop.
probably start sleeping in the tent again since the weather is getting nicer. it's been in the upper 40's and low 50's the last 2 days and will continue to warm until I get to smokey mountain national park - might see more snow there. next two days will be big for me. 12 and 14 miles each so I can get into Franklin, NC in 4 days.
had to explain to several section hikers today that this is not a vacation. they didn't get it. I told them that on vacation I like to stay in nice places, eat at nice restaurants, go to museums, etc. NOT eat boiled food and skip showers for days and days and walk miles and miles in the mountains. they still didn't get it. oh well.
later,
L


-- Post From My iPhone