Thursday, March 12, 2009

fontana dam shelter

16+ miles today puts me at 163.7 total. it's cold.
started to sprinkle at about 3 AM. was warm and dry in the tent. I love sleeping in the tent instead of the shelters. got up at 7 to clean up camp and have breakfast. started hiking at 8:01 because dave's oatmeal took a minute too long to cook! was overcast and 43 degrees, and the warmest it got today was 57 - not too bad for hiking but it was freezing every time I stopped for a break. lots of rocky trail today. I tweaked my right ankle twice - still sore tonight - and the blister on my little toe is a bit bigger. I'm working on it tonight but it still hurts. hiked past a bunch of caves today. some had fresh tracks leading to and from, but I didn't see any critters.
didn't see other hikers today. at the shelter tonight with eric, dave, and rich. also here are 3 guys doing a section from here to the turn off for gatlinburg; about 4 days. haven't decided what I'll do tomorrow. see how my feet feel in the morning. might rain again tonight and tomorrow. we're making a fire now, so we might be up late tonight - later than 8!!!
got a text message from starbucks today. he and downhill are a half day behind me. whenever I do start, I will be in the great smokey mountain national park. cool.
later,
L


-- Post From My iPhone