Monday, March 16, 2009

double spring gap shelter

late last night the shelter filled up. there were even ppl sleeping on the dirt floor of the covered eating area, but I stayed snug in my bag until 7 am this morning. it actually cleared up from about 9 pm to 3 am, then it started raining again. ALL DAY - it rained off an on. but I was set on making up for the short hike yesterday. d'leader and I broke camp around 8 am behind caveman and two other unknowns. we made the first 6.3 miles by 11, so we had an early lunch at derrick knob shelter. after a tough day of many ups and downs we cruised, in a downpour, into double spring gap at 3:30 (I think) for a total of 13.5 miles. starting elevation was 4900, final was 5500, highest was 5650, and lowest was 4800. just to give you and idea. many signs of bears and other critters but still no sightings. saw stallion today - a southbound thru-hiker who started in Maine on October 25. he's almost finished.
final total mileage after today is 194 miles. tomorrow should break 200 if all goes well. at 5:30 pm there are only 5 of us here and it's still raining. probably won't see others coming in tonight. hopefully I'll get in to gatlinburg, tn tomorrow. I need to do laundry and get food. only have oatmeal and snickers left in my food bag for tomorrow, and I'm wearing my last pair of dry socks and underwear to bed tonight. also, my hiking pants can't hold much more mud!
later,
L


-- Post From My iPhone