Sunday, March 29, 2009

Cherry Gap Shelter

17 miles, 357 total.
Had breakfast in Erwin then hit the trail around 10:30. Originally planned to make it an 11 mile day, but that didn't happen.
First 4 miles to Curly Maple shelter were all straight up. Went from 1700 feet at Erwin to 3070 at the shelter. It took over 2 long hours to go the short distance so I stopped and had a little lunch at the shelter...trying to lighten my food heavy pack. First day out of a pitstop is always more difficult because it usually involves a big climb and a heavy pack. This was no different.
My plan was to go an additional 7-8 miles and camp out at a scenic overlook called Beauty Spot, but shortly after lunch it began to cloud over and sleet...then snow. I was hiking in a cloud and never saw signs for the Beauty Spot or any other possible stops in that area. I also didn't even realize it until I looked at the time and it was 4:30 - way past my target time for stopping. Still snowing/sleeting so I decided to hike until closer to dark and then find a flat spot to pitch the tent. Next thing I know I'm at this (Cherry Gap) shelter - 17 miles from Eriwin.
Here with Chestnut, Deuce, Hunter, Bluegrass, and E. Deuce and BG are going to keep going in the snow after eating dinner but the others are in for the night. Chestnut and I had a great talk before the others got here. He has so much to share about hiking and the trail. He keeps offering to trade items he has for my ultra-light backpack. HA.
Going to be a very cold one tonight and the wind is blowing directly into the shelter, which has no tarp or other covering over the front. Already 35 F at about 8 pm. Since I had such a long day today I might cut tomorrow short because Roan Mtn is coming up (6000+ feet) and I don't want to attempt until Tues. when it will be warmer.
We'll see what happens.
Later,
L