Sunday, March 1, 2009

stuck in snow

well, it got crazy cold last night. all my gear was wet and cold when I got up this morning because it started misting, raining, and snowing off and on all night. we made it over blood mountain this morning with quite a bit of effort. several people who stayed near the shelter last night decided not to join us.  only took 30 minutes to go up in the rain and drizzle, but the top and the other side held a big surprise. at the top of this 6000 foot pile of granite it began to hail and sleet and then snow. it was very slippery with no visibility. on the way down the other side the hail turned to heavy snow. it took a couple hours to get down. but all is well. I'm at neels gap at the hiker hostel run by mountain crossings outfitters. 30 bucks gets me a bunk, a warm meal and snacks, Internet, laundry facilities, and a hot shower. very nice. forecast says at least 6" of snow and possibly up to 11". if it's a lot more than what's on the ground already I will probably stay another night and head out tuesday early with warm gear and food resupply. more to come soon.
l


-- Post From My iPhone