Monday, June 15, 2009

pine swamp brook lean-to

17.0 miles, 1462.9 total.
rained again all night. at least I was indoors and high on cold medicine.
I felt much better this morning. had breakfast and coffee and hot the trail around 9:00.
looked like rain most of the day but it held off until I got to this shelter.
very nice hike today. some of it was a flat walking path along the housatonic river (hoos-a-tonic). did a very stupid thing this afternoon though. I crossed a raging stream even though tree were signs instructing me to take an alternate route. it was about 60 feet wide and there were only a few big rocks above water. I made it quickly to the middle and that's where I ran into problems. I had to take off my shoes and socks, put on my Crocs, roll up my pants and carefully go across using rocks that were under water. at one point I threw one hiking stick I the edge and used a tree branch that was hanging above. well I made. and it was really cool.
anyway, here with a SOBO section hiker and it's raining. at least I made it early so my stuff is dry. we'll see what happens tomorrow.
later,
L


-- Post From My iPhone